Monday, November 2, 2009

Memories that Will Last a Lifetime

Our memories that we develop over the years become meaningful stories that are engraved in our hearts forever. These memories can help us get a better understanding about the type of person we have become and or be a vivid memory that we have experienced at one point in our lives. There are a lot of memories that I have that mean the world to me, but three stood out the most. The three memories that are important to me dealt with the home coming of my grandpa after being in the hospital, my 18th birthday and lastly when I got accepted to Mount Saint Marys College.

My first important memory was about nine years ago when I was a 5th grader at St. John the Baptist school. School would be out by 2:30 pm and my grandpa would usually pick me up on time, but this time it was different because he was hospitalized for having a stroke. While he was in the hospital I did not know who was going to pick me up it ranged from a variety of people. One day when school had ended no one was there at the gate, it was starting to get late so I called the house to see if anything happened and why no one was here. When I least expected it my grandpa had answered the phone no words can explain the feeling that I had when I heard his voice. I fell to the floor and started to cry, no words were exchanged only tears. My uncle ended up picking me up from school that day. When I got to my house the first thing I did was run and open the back gate, there he was with my aunt doing some yard work. I dropped my things on the floor and ran to him and gave him the biggest hug, it was a relieve having my grandpa back at home and healthy once again. This memory was very important because he was like my father, I was afraid that I was going to lose him, but when I heard his voice and saw him again I was thankful that he was home with the family.

The second memory that was important for me was the celebration of my 18th birthday. It was a two day celebration that nothing or no one was able to ruin and it was full of excitement. December 26, 2007 the day before my birthday, I had a get together with my close friends and family. It was very special for me because I was able to spend quality time with those I loved especially when we had recently lost a family member a few months before. As the family gathering was coming to an end my uncle had surprised me with a car. I was ecstatic because I did not expect a car as a gift. Then the day was finally here, my 18th birthday! I did not celebrate it like any other teenager who went clubbing for the first time instead I went to Disneyland for the first time with a group of my closest friends. This memory was important because I spent it with those I loved and was able to experience new things.

My last important memory was when I had an on campus interview at my high school Bishop Amat with a Mount Saint Mary's representative on November 27, 2007. I was very nervous and afraid that I was not going to get accepted to my dream school that I've always wanted to go to since a little girl. My life had changed on this Tuesday morning, when the Mount Saint Mary's representative called me into the room and started to review my application. As she finished reviewing my application, essay, and SAT scores she looked at me and said “ Congratulations, you have been accepted to the Mount!” I smiled with excitement and said, “thank you so much!” As soon as I stepped out of the room I called my family and friends to tell them the good news. This was an important memory because it was the school I have been wanting to go as a child and because I knew it was only going to be the beginning of my educational journey.

Therefore, these three memories that were accumulated over the years were very important to me because of the meanings they had behind them. Theses memories helped me to become the person I am today, because it taught me to be thankful for what I have in life. From seeing my grandpa after getting out of the hospital to getting accepted to my dream school will last a lifetime in my heart.

No comments: